Tuesday, January 13, 2009



Greetings from Seoul. How are all of you doing? I, first and foremost, want to thank the brave seoul who became my first blog follower. So, thank you Jamie, now I at least feel like I am not writing this for only myself. I am still awaiting the first brave seoul to actually write a comment on one of my blogs. So everyone cheers to Jamie, you win the prize (sorry, Jamie you will probably not receive the prize for about 11 months but keep looking forward to that day, oh and also give Taylee a big hug for me). Moving on....

I am again at work on my three and a half hour break. I have decided that this will routinely be my blog time because I have absolutely nothing else to do. Earlier at work today I received my Alien Registration Card aka ARC Card ( I am not sure why there is a C when you actually say the word card, but that's neither here nor there). Turns out, my little brother was indeed correct all of these years, I am actually an alien. Props to you Joe, props to you.

I mention the ARC card because it is a big life changer for me, here in Korea. These are the things I can do with my ARC card that I could not do before: obtain a cell phone (this is not entirely true I actually got a working phone yesterday but I was circumventing (when pronouncing this word in your head please think of Jobe from Arrested Development) the law), I can get Internet at my house (again not entirely true, I have been stealing Internet from my neighbors but it is shitty and I can not accomplish the things I want to accomplish such as talking to my family on Skype), and lastly I can get cable. This is something I am not sure that I will actually purchase. Back in good ole Columbia I hadn't had cable for over a year so I am used to not watching television. But I do get bored in my studio (aka dorm room) style apartment sometimes, so I dunno.

Quick official business: For all of you that are just dying to hear my voice, download skype and as soon as I get non shitty Internet we can speak to each other for free. Also, as soon as I purchase a new computer that has a web cam you would be able to see my face when we talk. Totally exciting, right? My skype name is Jennifemagnew7

Anyways, I officially have the easiest job in the world. If any of you want to travel half way around the world and you have a degree, I highly recommend doing this for a year. I work Monday through Friday for seven hours a day. Each day I have two to four classes, each class is 70 minutes long. So the rest of the time I am in the teachers office making lesson plans (which literally takes 5-10 minutes for each class) and after that I just spend my time playing on the Internet. This job is such a breeze compared to my prior one, where I had to keep a smile on my face no matter how big of an asshole a customer was (for some reason also when I served tables my voice changed to this high pitched really annoying tone that I despised and I am so happy I never have to hear that here). Don't get me wrong I miss Flatbranch a lot but I am happy to be here

There is one fairly big problem with my job here. The won (Korean money) is doing horribly. So, when I wire money home to pay bills such as student loans I am actually losing money. So that blows a penis (kinda like the movie Transformer 3).

In my last blog I promised to tell of the best work banquet ever. So here goes.... The day before New Years Eve I get told that there is a work banquet the next morning and I need to be somewhere at 9:30am. Kind of upsetting to hear because I wasn't planning on having to work until three that day and I wanted to get a good nights sleep in, so that I could party all night long on New Years Eve. Obviously, I had my priorities straight. Also, I was a little upset because I get told about this the day before it was happening. Again, just a lack of communication from my company that leads to me being a bit disgruntled.

We arrive at the banquet around 10am (keep in mind that I do have to teach children later this same day, everyone at the banquet does). The whole room is set up similar to that of a wedding reception. There is a buffet, a stage, linen on the tables, and free booze. The center piece of each table was an array of drinks which ranged from soda to Soju (weak Korean vodka). Now, let me be clear, not everyone broke into the alcohol, however we did. Truthfully, most of the banquet I was extremely bored because the whole thing was in Korean. There were, however, two things that were amazing. 1. As you may have guessed, shots of Soju and 2. Five Koreans getting up on stage and reenacting the video for The Wondergirls song "Nobody". This is by far the most popular song in Korea by one of the two most popular bands in Korea, the other being Big Bang. I was going to put a link to the video but I got confused. So, you can YouTube it if you are at all interested. The picture at the top of this post is of the performance. It was amazing and I had the hugest smile on my face the entire time.

After downing a couple shots of Soju and a few bears I than had to go to work and teach children. I was smart enough to not get hammered, so the teaching part was fine. But I do think it is ridiculous that drinking was not only acceptable to do before going into work, it also was somewhat encouraged. This would never happen in America, especially if you are a teacher.

Well I am again tired of writing. I hope all is well with everyone. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment